Ideas For Posts

  • Favorite Scriptures and What They Mean To You
  • Prayers
  • Encouraging Words
  • "Funnies"
  • Writer's Choice!

Friday, August 8, 2008

Tiny step backward...

OK...I knew that was too easy! And, I had an inkling that God had more to teach me...if I weren't so hard-headed the Big Guy would have a much easier job raising me!



Tuesday night I felt like I had a fever but I chose to be in denial and "wasn't able to find a thermometer," before falling dead asleep at 7:30 pm. I woke up several times with yucky night sweats, but due to the "denial," I blamed it on the pain. Wednesday morning my neck was very achy and stiff but I blamed it on muscle spasms...until my sweet mother and designated massage therapist tried to rub out the spasms...I about jumped across the room when she touched my neck because it was soooo tender. At this point one might think I should call a doctor but I had one of my closest friends and her daughter coming at noon and a chauffered coffee date with another friend down the street at 2:45...ummm, hello? Social therapy is great for extrovert's spirits, so, out of true concern for my health, I had to go!



By 5:00 I was in bed with fever, lots of neck pain and high pressure pain and swelling in my head. I had lots of night sweats that night (so much that Jack asked me when he snuck into our bed early that morning if I had had an accident...heehee). So, I decided I should call my doctor...right after Paul and I sold our house at 9:00 am and bought our new one at 1:00...ummm, hello? Priorities!



I called my internist and she told me to go to the hospital. I didn't like her answer so I called the docs in NY. They told me to go to the hospital. Bummer. Paul and I went straight there after we bought our house. We flew through the waiting room b/c by this point my loose, child-stretched sunglasses were making at least 1/2" indentations behind my ears that lasted over an hour and I was sweating and I have this tiny scar on the back of my head that has been useful for so many things (free coffee at Starbucks, cutting in airport lines, better parking, fast trips through the ER, etc.). They did my bloodwork and examined me and then transferred me to the Level 1 neuro-specialty hospital where I was immediately admitted to the CRASH Unit. I don't know exactly what that is but Starflight kept walking in front of my windowed doors rolling their patients to my neighboring rooms and we must have heard 10 "Code Blue's." I think it was at this point that I realized this might be kind of serious. Oops!



We got the lab results back and my white cell count showed I definitely had an acute bacterial infection and the Cerebral Spinal Fluid test showed gram-positive bacteria...drum roll...bacterial meningitis. That night was very scary. I felt like I was way out-of-it (more than usual, anyway), my head was huge, hot and squishy, I was having chills and low fever, terrible head and neck pain, etc. They immediately began treating me aggressively for meningitis with one antibiotic after another, steroids and whatever else they slip into my IV when I'm not looking. I finally got transferred around 2:00 am to the CCU (one step down from ICU) and I stayed there until tonight when I was moved to the corner, penthouse, 2 walls of windows room on the 9th floor. It feels like a hotel more than a hospital and I don't have 20 residents staring into my windows like a hamster cage all the time while some mysterious Attending says who knows what about me. Although, I like this..."Well, I've been practicing medicine for 20 years and I have never seen another patient with Ehlers Danlos, much less with your neurologic problems. You are a very complicated case (followed by a low, nervous belly laugh)." Then I feel all covered with warm fuzzies and just know I'm in the best hands (followed by my own nervous laugh...ummm, no).



I don't know how long I'll be here. I'm supposed to get a PIC line (an IV line in my upper arm that can remain for several weeks) so I can continue my antibiotic therapy in the comfort of my new home (that Paul and the movers moved us into today). I have had a great afternoon compared to yesterday, but still have some hurdles to jump before I can post bail. The doctors are about as certain about when I'll get out of this place as they are what the heck to do for me. Oh well, God is the Great Healer, not them. It's all in His timing. As for now I am getting to spend great quality time with my mom, watching all the HGTV I can stand, enjoying the view and trying to honor this time God has chosen for me to rest.



Thanks for all your support and prayers and posts that lift my spirits so much. I love you all and can't wait to see each of you. Please continue to pray for my family and caretakers here at the hospital, as well as for God to continue to bless me as incredibly as He has been in showing me how great He is and how much He is present and in control of all of this, rather than feeling sorry for my family and myself and taking a "worldy" view on our situation.



Love,

April

10 comments:

Kathryn said...

I love you muchly, girl. I hope the dr's treat you well. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

April,
Sherry and i were just discussing you on the way home from San Antonio today. Wondering how the new house was coming along....and wow we both get messages that your new address is Brackenridge! How did you manage that???? We are praying for your total recovery and i know the Lord is on your case or you wouldn't be able to send us a message. Keep looking at Him, April. He is our Creator so He knows how to put things right in our bodies. We all be praying for a quick recovery. Be blessed in Jesus in every way. Love you, Sheila

Unknown said...

You are beyond hysterical girl!!! I was able to picture exactly what things were like there for you!! LOL Anyway, glad to see that you are able to post again and in a normal room. DON'T RUSH GETTING OUT! I know you are excited about being in your new home but take the time to rest and then pace yourself. It took me several surgeries to finally get that concept! ha ha ha We are some thick headed patients for sure and probably pains in the necks (literally) as patients at times. My thoughts and prayers are with you always.
Love ya,
Lycia
PS - my email from Dr. B was quite frustrating. I am still going to my appointment for shots.

TheHamptonFamily said...

Constantly thinking and praying for you...Praying you would continue to feel His presence and purpose at this time.
With love,
Alicia

Anonymous said...

What a sense of humor God has given you. You are a blessing to us that have a small portion of the trauma that you have and sometimes don't cope as well as you. God has a plan and a time frame for you, be still and know. Love you, Becky

Anonymous said...

April,
You sure know how to fill a weekend, girl! Tom and I will be in touch with your mom to see what we can do to help on a practical level. Meanwhile, I've got a bunch of folks praying for your perfect healing. Rest and know that GOD is right there in your room and will never leave your side....and THAT is our comfort.
Much love,
Debra

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

April,
Hi, it's Lindsey (Moore) Bolline from Consol. Lise sent me your blog and I've been catching up with everything that's been going on with you. Oh my girl, you've been through a lot! I've been praying as I read and your faith is so encouraging. I pray you will have a full recovery and will overcome all this pain you're going through. I'm posting a prayer request for you on my blog, I hope that's alright. Keep up your great attitude and sense of humor!

Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.

Blessings,
Lindsey

Anonymous said...

The things some people will go through to get out of moving... and I thought I was pretty smart when I did it in my 40th week of pregnancy and wasn't allowed to carry anything... Cute hair! Looks kinda like Peter Pan in the pics. Do you have any green stockings????? lymymi stepM

Anonymous said...

April,
Just read the news of your re-hospitalization today. You are the most selfless person I know, always thinking of others first, keeping all your commitments when I know you must have felt absolutely terrible! Thanks so much for keeping us posted on your blog, your writing is hilarious, I feel like I am talking to you in person. I love you tons and you are in my thoughts and prayers every day. You are such an amazing woman!
Love,
Audrey

Mandy said...

Thinking of you and your family.

Love,

Mandy Trichel